Friday, September 6

September this and that

It's September already and I guess the back-to-school energy caught me because I've been busy the last four days cleaning out old files. It was entertaining, boring, and horrible. A lot had to be shredded—a slow process—and I filled six small bags packed tight with the stuff, and more went to recycling. Old taxes, old real estate files, old workshop handouts, old marketing materials, all gone gone gone.

Lots of family-tree info and memories turned up of course, and I sorted what I thought worth keeping into new files. I probably saved more than I needed but at least it's organized. I found several news clippings about projects Ray worked on, and five or six of his letters to the editor. Some of that I had forgotten, but instead of making me sad, it made me happy to read and remember it all.

There is still more to sort and recycle, including the file drawer in my desk that I just keeping shoving paper into. (I thought we were supposed to be a paperless society now.) That chore will have to wait. I'm heading to the Alvord desert next week for a piano concert, with stops in Sisters and French Glen.

And if you read my latest book you should know that I won't be going to Hong Kong in October. We're going to Europe instead. The demonstrations didn't bother us but the tear gas and rubber bullets and increasing violence did. So we cancelled our reservations a few days ago and the next day Carrie Lam withdrew the bill that initiated all the drama. Damn! Maybe we'll try again next year.

As for September, the leaves on my little Japanese maple are already turning and I see tips of red on some of the leaves just off my porch. I'm not ready for fall and am definitely not looking forward to winter. On the other hand, since summer sped past so quickly I hardly noticed, surely spring is just around the corner.

• • •

If you read Life in Transition and liked it, please consider writing a short review on Amazon. 
Enduring gratitude will be yours.





No comments: