Sunday, May 9

My four moms

Lee, Billie, Cecile, Pearl

I've always had mixed emotions about Mother's Day. I can't deny it's nice knowing that for sure I'll see or hear from my daughter, that flowers might appear at some point, and that dinner is never mine to cook. But I've also been mildly irritated by the expectations placed on that day by society. I knew my mother didn't expect the gifts and glory the TV commercials shouted at me every year but I wanted them for her. And perfection was never mine to give. 

In a way I had four mothers. My own wonderful mom (Cecile) and her three sisters, who constantly circulated through my life, often looking after me, often telling me what I could and could not do, and always loving me. When I was very young the four women lived in the same town, but they remained close even as the physical distances between them grew. Distance never stopped the continual letters, phone calls, and visits, or the noisy joint family celebrations of every holiday.

The photo above is a favorite, because it so clearly depicts the love and the fun these women shared throughout their lives. They were very different people, and disagreements certainly arose on occasion, but mostly they spent their years helping, worrying about, and enjoying each others company. And what I remember most from all those shared holidays is the laughter coming from the kitchen.

No daughter could ask for more. Happy Mother's Day moms! I love you all!


No comments: