Sunday, October 24

Autumn's diversity


 

The winds of autumn have arrived, which means I was sweeping leaves off my deck this morning and admiring the various shapes and colors that still surprise me each fall. Looking outward I saw even more. Many, if not most of these trees will burst into blossoms in the spring, as will the rhodies and azaleas that line the drive. I love all these shapes and colors, as well as the varieties of plants and flowers that seasonally cheer the neighborhood.

Most of us also value the numerous birds, mammals, and fish who bring delight, color, and even food into our daily lives, but at the same time this bewildering, complex circle of life is welcomed, admired, and even protected, too many humans are chastised, bullied, beaten, cast out, and even murdered because they are "different." Can someone please explain to me why varieties of flowers are welcome but varieties of humans are not? What exactly is the difference?

All species and all individuals are expressing life in the way best suited to them. Whether you believe the universe was created by happy accident or the commanding thoughts of an omniscient god, the process is always one of creation, set in play by a spark of DNA continually reinterpreting itself. The same precept that created microbes, fungi, and Covid created dinosaurs and insects, an infinite number of flowers, and diverse human beings. Why can't we appreciate all of them for what they are?

In other news I've been engrossed in a family history project for my granddaughter. It's been fun, tedious, time consuming, and sorrowful. Seeing all those faces and wondering why so much has been forgotten so quickly. My friends and relatives left and took their stories with them. Why didn't I pay attention? Why are we so willing to surrender to forgetfulness? My father told wonderful stories about growing up on the farm but I remember too few. I was too busy with my own present to pay much heed to his past. This is a serious regret.

Our lives continue to grow more complicated (will it never end?) but there is solace in remembering those who have gone ahead, just as there is value in appreciating our beautiful diversity. Someday we will understand that we are truly one and that place, time, appearance, language, and culture mean nothing in the broad scheme of universal perfection. We are all connected, living and dead, and love can span eons.

No comments: